Monday, October 31, 2011

Sweet Potato Gnocchi and Shredded Chicken in a White Cream Sauce

I found this sweet potato gnocchi at World Market (yes....I cheated a little and didn't make homemade gnocchi - maybe when I have more time) - but this gnocchi was still delicious - a little sweet. Jeremy loved it - and well - he is the only judge of my food other than me, so his thoughts are important to me. I found the recipe for the sauce on The Barefoot Kitchen Witch, added chicken and changed the amounts of a few things.  It was my first time using fresh fennel....and I was impressed. 


Ingredients:
  • 1 package of sweet potato gnocchi (or you could make your own - see link above)
  • 1 lb chicken
  • 1 can chicken broth (for boiling the chicken)
  • 1/4 cup sliced fennel
  • 1 tsp. minced shallot (I used about 1/2 shallot bulb)
  • 1/4 cup sliced white onion
  • 1/2 cup sliced roasted red pepper
  • 3 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1/2 cup cooking white wine
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 4 tbsp. butter
  • 1 tbsp fresh basil (I forgot this - so I used dried basil)
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • 2 tbsp. grated romano cheese
  • Handful of baby spinach
  • salt and pepper
Steps:
  • Boil chicken in 1 part chicken broth, 1 part water for about 45 min to 1 hour
  • Cook gnocchi according to package, and drain
  • In skillet - heat oil over medium heat
  • Add onion, fennel and red pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes
  • Add garlic and shallots - cook for 1 minute
  • Add white wine, basil and brown sugar
  • Add cream and reduce by 1/3
  • Add butter, salt and pepper - cook, stirring occasionally until butter is melted
  • Add in cooked chicken - stir
  • Add cooked gnocchi and spinach

  • Add romano cheese
  • Stir occasionally, cooking until the thickness of your liking (only a few minutes, I turned the stove down to low during the end)
  • I served mine with a little garlic bread - it was very filling - no need for lots of other sides.


  • We loved it - it will definitely be made again! (and I am sure it would be good with regular gnocchi)


No comments:

Post a Comment