Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes


I found this recipe on "Natalies Killer Cuisine," it was an instant favorite for Jeremy (he has even made it for me in the past!!) I have changed a thing here or there, but I have to give credit where it's due!!

Ingredients:
1 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
About 1/2 a box of chicken broth (or as much as you need)
1 medium onion - diced
1 bottle of hot sauce (or BBQ sauce, use whatever you prefer)
2 large sweet potatoes
1/2 tsp nutmeg (per potato)
1/2 tbsp butter (per potato)
Cheese to top the potato (optional)



I started off this morning putting 1 lb of boneless skinless chicken breast in the crock pot, with enough chicken broth (reduced sodium of course) to cover just the top of the chicken. I put the crock pot on low (8 hours)


About 2-3 hours later, I checked the chicken, just stabbed it with a fork and it started to shred apart, so I knew it was done. I pulled the chicken out of the crock pot, poured out the broth. Shredded the chicken on my cutting board, returned it to the crock pot and poured a whole bottle of Frank's hot sauce on the chicken (just enough to cover the chicken so it doesn't get dried out....you can of course put as much as you prefer or even use BBQ sauce instead of hot sauce.) I kept the crock pot on low (8 hours) and checked it occasionally to make sure it wasn't drying up...but it certainly wasn't!



About 1 hour before dinner, I cleaned and dried 2 large sweet potatoes, poked a few wholes in them with a fork, pre-heated my oven to 400, put the potatoes on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven for 1 hour.


Right after putting the potatoes in the oven, I diced up a small onion and stirred it in to the chicken ( we like our onions a little crispy, so thats why I put them in so late...but you could put them in whenever, depending on your taste!)


When the potatoes were done (you will know, they need to be soft), I split a small cut down the center, and removed a small square of the skin. I added about 1/2 tbsp. butter and mashed the potato down w/o breaking the skin (it is a BAKED potato after all, not mashed potatoes!) after mashing it up, i added about 1/2 tsp nutmeg for taste (Jeremy doesn't put butter or nutmeg in his potato and says it tastes just as good....just doesn't want the added calories!)




After mashing up the potato, place a heap of the chicken mixture into the potato, top with cheese, and put back under the broiler for 1 minute....(Again, Jeremy doesn't put cheese on his potato, but I still threw his back under the broiler just for a little crisp)


We love this meal and it is now a staple for us!

As a side, I just made a little spinach salad with carrots and tomatoes and vidalia onion dressing. I also broke up some of the dried bread from the bruschetta, into small pieces for croutons. It was delicious!


Appetizer:
Caprese Salad
  • Fresh mozzarella sliced up into rounds
  • tomato sliced
  • a little extra virgin olive olive
  • a dash of basil (i used dry basil, tasted just as good as fresh to me)
Bruschetta
Rolled up prosciutto (from fresh market....yum)


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment