Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Crockpot Taco Chicken Chili

I had a craving for chili....but I didn't want ground beef, I wanted chicken....and I didn't want white chili...so my search began!

This recipe is VERY easy, especially since it cooks in the crock pot and you don't have to mess with it all day until right before its done.



Ingredients:

  • 1 onion- diced
  • 1- 16oz can of black beans - drained (I drain mine....I don't like watery chili)
  • 1- 16oz can of kidney beans - drained
  • 1- 16 oz can of chili beans - drained
  • 1- 8oz can of tomato sauce
  • 2- 14.5oz cans of petite diced tomatoes with chili's 
  • 1- 10oz package of frozen corn kernels (I prefer white shoepeg corn over yellow corn)
  • 1 pack of taco seasoning
  • 1 tbsp. cumin
  • 1 tbsp. chili powder 
  • 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I use the thinly sliced chicken breasts, about 1 lb, it shreds more easily)
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (finely chopped)

Now the easy part---- putting it all together!
  • Combine beans, onion, corn, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in crock pot-- stir.
  • place chicken on top and cover crock pot.
  • Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 6 hours.
  • 1/2 hour before serving, remove chicken and shred (if you use the thinly sliced chicken breasts, they don't even need to be removed, they will shred up as soon as you try to pull them out...much easier than dirtying another cutting board)
  • Return shredded chicken to crock pot and stir in.
  • Serve chili- top with fresh cilantro and cheese (optional) or whatever toppings you prefer
  • I also served mine with corn bread (Jiffy of course...the only cornbread I will make!)


ENJOY! 

(it also warms very well, the next night I served it over nacho's...)

1 comment: