Sunday, July 24, 2011

Crab Cakes

I have been wanting to make crab cakes for awhile, but since crab meat is SO expensive and I hear a lot of people say the recipes are always hit or miss, I didn't want to try until someone recommended a recipe - so I got this recipe from my brother-in-law's brother.....He gave me a few tips, and I tweaked the recipe slightly on my own, it ended up really good, but I made mine really big (the whole recipe made 6 crab cakes...) so they took a little longer than I expected to cook, so you can make yours as large as you like or depending on how many people are eating with you. Jeremy ate 2 crab cakes and I ate 1 and maybe 2 bites of a second, they were very filling. So if you like crab cakes - try these! (I think if i make them again I might add some red peppers or onion?!)

Ingredients:


  • 1 lb. lump crabmeat
  • 1-2 cups bread crumbs (I ended up using 1.5 cups, but you just have to eye it)
  • 2 cups mayonaise (I used Vegenaise - mayo with no eggs and NO cholesterol)
  • 2 tbsp. dijon mustard
  • 2 tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
  • 1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp. horseradish (I used very hot horseradish - the less creamy version)
  • 1 egg
  • Juice of 1 lemon
Steps:

  • Place crab meat in bowl, add bread crumbs until evenly distributed with crab (I started with 1 cup and ended up adding an additional 1/2 cup once I started adding the sauce)

  • In a 2nd bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients until well incorporated

  • Slowly mix the sauce into the bowl with the crab meat, add until the mixture is moist but NOT soupy (this is where I decided to use some more bread crumbs in order to use the entire sauce mixture - but you don't necessarily have to use all of the sauce - just eyeball it to the consistency of your liking)

  • Preheat oven to 375
  • Cover a baking sheet with foil, lightly spray with cooking oil.
  • Form the crab mixture into patties to your liking (the original recipe stated to put them in 4-6oz patties - I have NO idea how to gauge that - I made mine pretty big since it was our meal, but if you wanted to make like an "appetizer" version, you could make lots of small cakes)
  • Place cakes on baking sheet and put in the oven
  • The original recipe said to cook for 10-15 min - but b/c of the size of mine it took 25 min until I was happy with the color and consistency. You can also put them under the broiler for a minute to brown the tops....

  • I served mine with some white shoepeg corn on the cob and an arugula salad.

  • It was yummy! BUT very filling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment